Friday, November 4, 2011

Recipe: Lemon Cake

I found this wonderful recipe for a very quick lemon cake on Yummy in my Tummy. It is one of my favorite foodie sites and I recipes from this site on a regular basis. It is not a vegetarian blog, but they do often post recipes that are suitable for vegetarians or easily adjusted. I made this lemon cake twice in the past week, because Zeronic loved it so much and he insisted I would make it again when we had friends over. For the Dutch people: the recipe can be found on Yummy in my Tummy and for the rest, I will translate it here, as always :)

The cake tin I had was too large, but it was still good!

Lemon Cake:
- 175 gr self rising flour
- 175 gr butter
- 175 gr sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons
- salt
- 100gr extra sugar (optional)

Make sure that all ingredients are on room temperature. Grate the two lemons and squeeze out the lemon juice. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add the butter in cubes, the eggs, lemon zest and sugar. Mix everything with an electric mixer for about 1.5 minutes until you have a smooth batter.
Line the bottom of an 18 cm cake tin (I have a 24 cm tin, and it will work but you get a thinner cake) with non stick paper and put some butter on the edges to prevent sticking. Scoop the batter in the cake tin and place it in a pre heated oven on 180 degrees (about 170 on a microwave oven) for 40-45 minutes. The cake is ready if you can stick a toothpick in it and it comes out clean.

The cake does taste really good like this already but if you want an extra sour kick proceed with the next steps. Stick several holes in the cake. Mix the lemon juice of the two lemons with 100 gram of sugar (or the juice of 1 lemon with 50 gram). Spoon the mixture over the cake 1 spoon at a time. Make sure that the moist has been absorbed by the cake before you spoon over more.

Personally we discovered that we liked the cake best plain, but it is worth to experiment with to see how you like it best!

4 comments:

  1. I love lemon cake and the recipe sounds simple enough, which is great :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I'll get translating those portions. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd like it plain too. Thanks so much for translating -- I adore all things lemon! I have a kitchen scale, so I'll be able to weigh out all my ingredients easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really funny because I actually bought measurement cups too, in case I am making an American recipe :) But if the recipe from origin is Dutch, I just use grams. It is nice to have both options :)

    ReplyDelete